Saturday, February 9, 2013

Rest and recovery rocks!

Most runners like to run every day and are reluctant to take rest days, let alone multiple rest days in a row. Last week was a big week for me, I ran 6 days and did more k's than usual. That was partly in response to the very light week before that. I knew last Sunday that I had probably overdone it when my legs couldn't cope with the usual leg session at the gym. However, Monday is usually a no run day, just an upper body/abs gym day, so it was assumed all would be okay for long intervals at the YCRC 5km run on Tuesday of this week - WRONG! The warm up was crappola! However, as many a crappola warm up has been followed by a good session, I persevered. Alas, that just extended into a crappola long intervals session. Those intervals were 6 mins moderately hard, 1 min jog recovery. The GPS battery died, probably a good thing as I don't want to see the pace data! Admittedly it was hot and others also struggled in those conditions. The 5k time as 25:12 and I pulled up feeling pretty nauseous. I also felt pretty despondent thinking, 'here we go again with training intolerance'. Smartly there was no run on Wednesday, just some upper body/abs gym work. Thursday I briefly contemplated a morning run, but decided against it. There was no lunch time opportunity and by evening I was dog tired, plus I was calculating results at Track. A run could have happened, but the dog tiredness was a sign to just go with another rest day. Friday it was hot at lunch time and as Parkrun was in the plans for Saturday, I stuck with an easy jog followed by 4 x 20 second strides. That jog felt better than Tuesday's warm up jog. Bring on Parkrun .... wow what a difference! The warm up felt good, the run even better. I was hoping for a sub 24 to be consistent with the 2013 Case Study hypothesis. As it turns out, it was so much better than that! The 1km splits are: 4:38, 4:38, 4:47, 4:51, 4:22 - for 23:16 (HR monitor played up so no reliable data). Well ahead of the hypothesis! A 67 second improvement over 4 weeks. 
Some Parkrun fun
Friends at Parkrun:
Louise Sharp - 21:13
Kate Vandenberg - 22:02
David Baussmann - 22:03 - a 5k PB woot woot!
Trevor Jacobs - 23:37 - clearly taking it easy
Graham Burke - 24:12
Kikka Happonen - 32:51 - another kick arse PB!

7 comments:

  1. Wow. Awesome time. Congrats - so close to the 22s. Don't think I could break 23 at Gindy no matter how good the warm-up felt. If you knock off another 67 seconds over the next 4 weeks I'll need binoculars to see you!

    Great photo by the way - you're flying. What are those purple shoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. I have been trying to catch Mr B, but he just keeps knocking out great times. He's pretty close now to 21s. Starting towards the front in these runs does make a difference, so you could easily break 23 if you decided to have a crack.

      It's good when the shutter goes just as you are mid-flight for a stride. Those are my new DS trainers (Asics), lighter than the Gel Nimbus, my other recent new pair. Asics are great for narrow feet.

      Delete
  2. Awesome PB in those nice new shoes:) Congratulations and keep trying to catch Mr B. It makes him try to go faster lol! I tried those Asics on but they were too narrow for my feet - pretty though;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruthy :-). At some point Mr B will plateau, then he will be at risk of getting 'chicked' ;-). That is if I don't plateau or blow up first.

      I wouldn't run a marathon in these shoes, they would need to be 1/2 size bigger for lots of distance. However, they are nice and comfy for the shorter stuff. A bit smaller than the gel nimbus.

      Delete
  3. Flying, and focused. A good day, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF. It was a good day. Back to being sluggish today c'est la vie :-)

      Delete
    2. Understandable - you ran hard yesterday! "Young fit runners will need two to three days between hard workouts and five to six days after a 5k race before they're recovered enough for the next hard effort..." See here.

      Delete